The role of the insurance ombudsman South Africa is to solve consumer complains in short term insurance fairly, efficiently and impartially.
This gives consumers the much needed opportunity to solve their insurance problems without any expensive court actions. The office of the insurance ombudsman in South Africa was opened in 1989. Consumers should note that the insurance companies are contractually bound to accept the outcome of disputes.
Here are some interesting figures from the office of the ombudsman South Africa:
- The average days to solve a complaint decreased from 223 days in 2011 to 111 days in 2013.
- There’s only 72 unresolved cases after 6 months of reporting it. In 2011 it was 1319.
- The total cases in 2013 were 9368, 49% of them was car insurance and 21% was home insurance.
- Three out of every 1000 claims at insurance companies finds it way to the ombudsman.
- Over 52% of all cases in 2011 was solved within 6 months. In 2013 it goes up to 87%
- In 2013 33% of all cases reported was in favour of the consumer.
The insurance ombudsman’s details are:
Tel: 011 726 8900 or 0860 726 890
Fax: 011 726 5501
Physical Address: Sunnyside Office Park, 5th Floor, Building D, 32 Princess of Wales Terrace, Parktown
Postal Address: P O Box 32334 Braamfontein, 2017
To lodge a complaint click here.